Back in the day I used to gorge myself on the potato tacos served up by Chef Felix at El Ranchero in Vista, CA. In later years I tried potato tacos at other restaurants and was appalled at what basically amounted to flavorless mashed potatoes in a tortilla. For me, the key to a yummy potato taco is preserving the diced potatoes and making sure they have ample seasoning. I hope that I have succeeded as I add yet another taco to my arsenal.
1.5 to 2 pounds of white potatoes, peeled and medium diced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons butter
Canola oil, about 2 cups
1. Boil potatoes until tender, but not crumbling.
2. Strain and gently place potatoes on a sheet pan.
3. Melt butter, then baste potatoes.
4. Combine all spices, then sprinkle over potatoes
5. Heat oil in skillet, then place potatoes on a tortilla. Fry each tortilla and potato filling until it begins to brown.
6. Top with cabbage, cheese, tomatoes, salsa, then feast!
These are really easy to make. I think the hardest part is getting your frying technique down.. I can't really tell you how to do it properly. Everyone has their own style.
As for salsa, I love Herdez. Es el mejor.