Middle Eastern Spiced Carrot and Potato Soup
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground fennel seeds
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 fennel bulb, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 bunches (roughly 2 pounds) carrots, peeled, chopped into medium size coins
3 medium potatoes, chopped into rough dice
1 teaspoon sugar
6 cups chicken stock
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander for garnish
Greek-style yogurt for garnish
1. Heat oil in pot, then add onion and fennel and sweat for 10-20 minutes until soft and translucent
2. Add garlic and spices and sweat for another five minutes.
3. Add carrots, potatoes, sugar, and stir.
4. Add stock, bring to boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are soft.
5. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth and return to pot.
6. Add salt to taste, then garnish with yogurt, coriander and a pinch of cumin.
I used Yukon Gold potatoes as they cook rather quickly and have a really nice texture and flavor.
I love all the funky shapes and colors of homegrown carrots!