I would never in a million years order a grilled chicken breast or eat a barbecued chicken wing. It's just not my thing. Not even a little. However, when chicken is used as a kind of flavor delivery system, then it's all good. These shredded chicken tacos are a good example of that. The flavor of these tacos is really great. I've never ordered shredded chicken tacos in a restaurant, but now I have to in order to see how mine compare.
Shredded Chicken TacosIngredients
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
2 pounds bone in, skin on chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon Goya Adobo with Pepper, plus more to season
1. In a medium bowl mix together tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, Adobo and sugar. Reserve.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (I prefer cast iron) Season chicken with Adobo. Cook chicken, turning once, until skin is golden brown on both sides.
3. Add reserved tomato sauce mixture to pan. Be careful to avoid spattering tomato sauce! Lower heat to low, cover skillet with foil and simmer for 45 minutes. Turn chicken once.
4. Transfer chicken to cutting board and reserve sauce in skillet. Remove and discard bones and skin. Using two forks, shred chicken breast.
5. Transfer chicken to skillet with sauce and cook over low heat until sauce reduces, about 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve on warmed tortillas, topped with shredded lettuce, avocado, salsa or whatever you like.
You might want to let the chicken cool a it before you shred it. It will be terribly hot!