Sunday, January 2, 2011

Chipotle And Garlic Barbecue Sauce



As I have written previously, I love working with new sauces. Sadly lacking in my repertoire, however, is a barbecue sauce. Tonight I tinkered with a few formulations until I had something that featured some smokey, yet tolerable, heat.


Chipotle And Garlic Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 chipotle chile, de-seeded and minced (see notes)
3/4 teaspoon adobo sauce (see notes)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate (see notes)
1 garlic clove, minced

Directions
1. Puree all ingredients in a food processor.

Notes
You can buy small cans of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. They are very hot, so adjust the amount of chile and sauce to suit your tolerance. If you have orange juice, but no concentrate, you can always reduce some orange juice in a sauce pan.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm. I have not experimented with barbecue sauces yet. This formula sounds yummy. Yum yum.

    We have a local joint that serves great barbecue sauce on the side of chicken and on their wings. Sadly, their wings are often over cooked, dry and the meat is dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! That is piss poor food service. Ai ai ai. Sadly, it's easier to make a good sauce than it is to cook meat properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree. I only buy clean chickens, organic and semi-organic, so when I get a hold of a dirty one, the taste is terrible. Yick.

    ReplyDelete