Saturday, June 12, 2010

Golden Pastry Bites


I like making soup. I guess it falls into my "one dish meal" philosophy. Soup needs a little somehtin' somethin' to go with it, though. I had some Puff Pastry sheets in the kitchen and thought I'd roll some out, then cut out little rounds with a cookie cutter. It worked out really well. The ample amount of butter in the Puff Pastry creates a nice flavor. You can dip these bread bites or float them around your bowl like giant croutons.

I have some suggestions on how to jazz these up a bit in the "Notes" section. I also apologize for the "Golden Pastry Bites." That's kind of a lame name, but it's the best I can do at the moment. :) One-third of a Puff Pastry sheet will yield 15 or so bites. I served five per person and that seemed like a nice portion.

Golden Pastry Bites

Ingredients
1/3 sheet of puff pastry
1 egg
1 tablespoon water

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Flour a cutting board and roll out puff pastry to 1/8" thickness.

3. Cut pastry with a 2" diameter, round cookie cutter.

4. Place rounds on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray, like Pam. Brush the top with an egg wash (1 beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water).

5. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Notes
For added flavor, you can sprinkle the puff pastry sheet with pepper or fresh herbs, then fold the sheet together, then roll out with a rolling pin.

Golden Pastry Bites with Cannellini Bean and Leek Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment