Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Slippery Shrimp



Yesterday I sat in a meeting. Half of the people there, including myself, had been given pink slips months before. As the meeting wore on, I got more and more restless. I just wanted to get out of there as fast as I could.

     Eventually, the time of liberation was at hand. I grabbed my board and fled to the beach. I surfed for a bit, but the weak, sloppy windswell didn't quite satisfy. I still had some more anxiety to work out, so off to the market I went. Yang Chow's Slippery Shrimp was on my mind. I had a hunch that I would feel better if I gorged on Slippery Shrimp while watching the Dodgers dismantle the Astros.

     I was correct. The shrimp was good and the Astros got worked. Yay!

     The recipe below is pretty much the same as you will find elsewhere, but I change the order of prep in order to ensure that the shrimp are served hot and crispy.

Slippery Shrimp

Yield
4 servings

Ingredients
1 pound large shrimp
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons water
2 cups canola oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or red pepper flakes)
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon white wine
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
For the Sauce
1. Combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoons water in a bowl and set aside.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan.

3. Add the garlic, ginger and cayenne (or red pepper). Stir for a few seconds.

3. Next, add the ketchup, vinegar, wine, sugar, salt, 1/4 cup water and the reserved cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until the sauce is thick. Reserve.

For the Shrimp
1. Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp. (see notes)

2. Mix the shrimp with 1/4 cup cornstarch to completely coat the shrimp.

3. Deep fry the shrimp in two cups of oil until golden - about 45 seconds. (see notes)

4. Toss with the sauce and serve.

Notes
Very often the shrimp you buy at the store will be deveined and partially butterflied. At most you may just have to peel.

To make sure that my shrimp is ready to be fried, I heat the oil before I begin prepping the ingredients. This ensures that I have plenty of time in which to dial in the correct heat.

You can strain the oil through a double layer of cheesecloth and save for a later use. I like to do this to save money. Oil isn't exactly cheap and I don't like to be wasteful. I stored the oil in the fridge, since I was concerned about any fat or food particles turning rancid. Maybe this isn't necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. GOSH! How delicious was that? So, so good and tangy as all heck! Make it again...TONIGHT!

    ReplyDelete