Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chocolate-Dipped Bacon


If bacon is the candy of meat, then chocolate-dipped bacon is the candy of candied meats. The idea of dipping bacon into chocolate might horrify some, but it's actually really good. I'm still tinkering with preparation, presentation and flavors, but I think I'm off to a good start.

The method below differs from the one that I used to prepare the treats in the photo above. The revised method should actually produce a better looking product.

Chocolate-Dipped Bacon

Ingredients
Thick cut bacon
Semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Cut each strip of bacon into three pieces to make bite-sized portions

3. Roll a strip of foil into a ball, then unravel it. Place two of these overlapping pieces onto a baking sheet. The idea is to create a cooking surface that will allow the fat to flow away from the bacon in order to have pieces that are as flat as possible.

4. Bake the bacon for 10 minutes or until browned. Remove, pat dry with paper towels and allow to cool.

5. In a double-boiler melt the chocolate chips. Dip each piece of bacon into the chocolate, then place on cooling rack. When room temperature, place treats into the fridge so that the chocolate will become nice and hard.

Notes
When buying bacon, I purchase it from the meat counter so that I can get just a few ounces. You might experiment with adding new flavors by, say, crumbling red chili flakes into the chocolate.

8 comments:

  1. My wife's going crazy cos I showed her this. Just before I did, she saw this photo on her friend's Facebook. See, she gave up eating pork after hanging out with some piglets in Maui earlier this year. Poor thing. She really likes el puerco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that photo! The bacon-chco mix is really neat. Kind of an unexpected pleasure. :)

    Piglets are kind of cute. Poor little bastards. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this and I'm taking it to the fam's house, I'll let you know what they think!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gia,

    I really hope they like it. I think it's a surprisingly yummy snack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christian, I'm going to try this with fake bacon (heresy I know, but nearly lifelong veg here) and let you know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete