Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chicken Stock


I like to prepare my own stock if I'm going to be making soup or a sauce that requires one. While I could easily pick some stock up at the store, it's just not the same. There's nothing new or revolutionary in my method. You've got all the usual components: chicken, mirepoix, water and herbs that would normally go into a sachet. Like all of the recipes here at C And D, this one simply serves to jog my memory when I forget how to cook something (which is pretty much all the time).

Chicken Stock

Yield
2 quarts

Ingredients

Chicken!
2 medium onions, quartered and skin on
2 carrots, chopped into four pieces each
1 celery stalk, chopped into four pieces
1 bay leaf
6 peppercorns
5 parsley sprigs
water

Directions
1. Place chicken in the stockpot. Fill with cold water. Bring to a simmer.

2. As the chicken simmers, you will need to occasionally spoon away some of the fat and impurities that rise to the surface.

3. Once scum is no longer gathering on the surface, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.

4. Strain the stock into another large pot, then divide into quart containers. Place the quart containers into an ice bath to cool them.

5. When they cool, skim the fat off the top.

Notes
Regarding the chicken, you have a bit of leeway here. I simply bought 4 legs and 2 wings from Ai Hoa for cheap, like $3. You could buy a whole chicken and chop it up yourself or purchase a pack of legs and thighs.

5 comments:

  1. Just a few notes/ideas on how I make stock:

    I usually buy whole chickens at Costco, and butcher them at home when I want to BBQ/fry/whatever them. Then, I'll throw the carcass and giblets in a ziploc bag, and toss them in the freezer until I'm ready to make stock again.

    Also, I will first put the chicken and veggies in a roasting dish, roast in the oven at 350F for about an hour or so, and then finish it up in the stock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Alan. :) How much do the whole chickens at Costco run?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, man. I need to figure out a good beef stock, but I rarely use them. Hmm..I need to work on that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking on the beef stock as well, mainly for stir fry at this point.

    ReplyDelete