The cinnamon added to the batter adds a nice undertone to the cake. I'm going to experiment with serving the cake at room temperature and also chilled to see if it makes any difference in flavor or texture. Regardless of the temperature, small slices are in order as this cake is rich, rich, rich.
Chocolate Mousse Cake with Cinnamon Cream
16 pieces of chocolate goodness
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter cut into pieces
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped coarse
6 large eggs
1/3 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chilled heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325. Butter an 8" round cake pan (about 2" deep) and line bottom with parchment paper or foil.
2. In a medium saucepan bring water and sugar to simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add butter and simmer, stirring occasionally until butter is melted.
4. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate. Swirl pan to submerge chocolate in hot syrup. Let chocolate stand in syrup for 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
5. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, coffee and cinnamon. Add chocolate mixture slowly, whisking as you pour. (This is important to keep any of the eggs from getting too hot and cooking). Whisk until well combined, then pour into cake pan.
6. Put cake pan into a larger cake pan, perhaps a 12", and add enough water to larger pan to reach halfway up the side of the smaller cake pan. (The water vapor will help keep the cake moist.) Bake in the middle of oven 45 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool cake completely when done baking.
7. When ready to serve, run a thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen cake and put pan on hot stove burner for 3-4 seconds. Invert cake onto plate and remove parchment paper or foil.
1. In a large bowl beat cream, sugar and cinnamon with a whisk or electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks.
2. Before service, spread cream over the top of the cake or spoon onto plates alongside individual pieces.
Cake may be kept in pan, wrapped in plastic wrap, and chilled 1 week or frozen 1 month.